top of page

GCC Mines & Works Application for Acceptance as an Engineer-In-Training Guidelines

Updated: Apr 6, 2021

Table of Content

1. Introduction

Step 2 of the journey to obtaining the GCC Mines & Works is to get acceptance to be an Engineer-In-Training (EIT).

The Department of Mineral Resources (DMR) requires you to be accepted as EIT before you can commence with completing the 'Annexure E' modules (Step 5 of the process).

The EIT training for mine engineers involves Completing the 'Annexure E' modules.

The process of submitting and obtaining permission to commence the EIT training is simple:

  • Complete the prescribed application form

  • Attach the required supporting documentation

2. How to complete the prescribed application form

Firstly, you will need to download the DMR 'Application for Acceptance as an Engineer-In-Training' form. You can download the document directly from the DMR website or download it below.

DMR 79 MECC application form for accepta
Download • 264KB

GCC Mines & Works application form guideline - page 1

Section A1 guidelines

  • Make sure you fully complete the personal details section.

  • Make sure you correctly fill in the full names as they appear in your ID document.

  • We will advise that you provide your private cellphone number, email address, and postal address. There have been situations where applicants provide work contact details. It becomes a problem when they change employers while evaluating their applications.

  • You don't have to be employed to submit your acceptance as an EIT application. You can write 'unemployed' if you don't have a job when submitting your application.

Section A2 guidelines

You need to apply for either the electrical or mechanical engineer's certificate of competency. The choice of which will depend on your qualification. If you have an electrical engineering qualification, then you will apply for the electrical certificate of competency.

Record of qualifications and experience guidelines

GCC Mines & Works application form guideline - page 2

B1 - Add your full names and surname as they appear in your identity document. Add your highest qualification under the 'professional and technical qualification' field.

B2 - Add all your qualifications and professional certification (e.g., Pr. Eng, Pr. Tech, etc.). You can use the 'remarks' column to communicate additional information, e.g., "qualification in progress."

B3 - You need to include different positions you have fulfilled. Make sure you include the employer's name and the period of employment on that specific role. You may have the same employer and different roles (i.e., indicating that you were getting promotions or reassigned to other roles). Mark the experience gained as mechanical ('M' symbol), electrical ('E' symbol), or mechanical & electrical ('M-E' symbol).

The section intends to indicate to the Commission of Examiners the type of experience you have. For example, if you do not have any drawing experience, you will leave that field empty.

Tip: Include the last five years in detail and bulk the rest of your experience in one row. For example, say you have 20 years of experience. In the first ten years, you had various roles as an artisan. You can write 'Artisan' under the post's designation, add the employer(s), the period, and the type of experience gained.

Note: You can leave this section empty if you do not have any experience.

3. What do I need to have in place before I submit my application?

Before you submit your application, please make sure that you are over the age of 23.

Remember also to include proof of payment for the application fee. You can pay the application fee at the DMR bank account as indicated in the application form or deposit any DMR regional offices.

4. What must I submit with my EIT application?

You need to submit the following with your EIT application:

5. Do I need to complete my EIT in electrical and mechanical?

One of the confusion is that some applicants think you need to have both the electrical and mechanical certificate of competency. You don't need to get both. Here is why you only need one of the certifications:

  • The DMR will only allow you to apply for one of the certifications.

  • The 'Annexure E' modules for electrical and mechanical are identical.

  • The GCC Mines & Works exams written by electrical and mechanical applicants are identical.

  • In the majority of the cases, the 2.13.1 appointment does not distinguish between electrical and mechanical certification.

So, make sure you select one of the certifications and don't waste time trying to pursue the second.

6. Do I need to have work experience to apply for acceptance as EIT?

No, you don't need to have any work experience to apply as GCC Mines & Works EIT. The primary determining factor in starting the EIT is your qualification. The qualification evaluation is critical.

You can apply as EIT as soon as you obtain your qualification - provided that you complete your qualification evaluation and you meet the qualification requirements.

7. If I have the GCC Factories, do I need to undergo the EIT programme?

No, you do not need to "technically" go through a formal EIT programme. However, you will need to apply to write the GCC Mines & Works examination (Step 6).

During your application to write the GCC Mines & Works examination, you will need to demonstrate the following:

  • Proof of at least one (1) year's experience in the maintenance and operation of machinery at a mine.

  • The experience at the mine must be per the 'Annexure E' modules. So, indirectly you need to complete the 'Annexure E' modules. The exception is that you do not need to "complete" your 'Annexure E' modules under the supervision of a DMR registered mentor. In other words, you do not need to fill the 'Annexure E' logbook formally.

8. Where do I submit my EIT application?

The Department of Mineral Resources requires you to apply at the following address:

The Secretary

Commission of Examiners: MECC

Private Bag X59



Tip: Make sure you use registered mail when submitting your application.

You may also consider submitting at the DMR head office:

The Secretary

Commission of Examiners: MECC

Trevenna Campus

Building 2C

C/o Meintjes & Francis Baard Street



9. What happens after I submit my application?

After submitting your application, the administrator at the DMR will review your application to check that you meet the administrative requirements (i.e., all documents are correct). The administrator will then submit your application to the Commission of Examiners for consideration.

The Commission of Examiners will then approve or disapprove your application. Where they disapprove, the Commission of Examiners will provide the reason and the step to remedy the noncompliance.

The approval process can take anywhere between 2 and 8 weeks.

You can follow up on your application by emailing:

10. When is the ideal time to submit my EIT application?

You can submit the EIT application anytime.

Advice for students: Students should submit their applications as soon as they complete their qualifications and meet the qualification requirements. Bachelor's degree students usually have no issues with meeting the qualification requirements. However, national diplomas and national technical diploma students need to make sure they have the relevant subjects/modules - this may imply adding additional modules. Make sure you decide early on whether you wish to pursue the GCC Mines & Works.

Advice for graduates: Graduates should decide to pursue the GCC Mines & Works very early before committing fully to other industries. It will be challenging to switch to mining later on in your career. So, ensure that you decide early and submit your application as soon as possible.

11. What happens if I commence my Annexure E modules without obtaining a DMR EIT acceptance letter?

You will need to get your mentor to sign-off the modules to a date after you obtained approval. They may require you to re-evaluate your competence in those modules. It's a matter of getting an understanding mentor.

12. Conclusion

The GCC Mines & Works application for acceptance as an Engineer-In-Training is:

  • filling the application form,

  • attaching the qualification evaluation & other supporting documents, and

  • sending the application to the Department of Mineral Resources.

Remember, you do not need to have working experience when applying as a GCC Mines & Works EIT. The intention of applying for the EIT in the first place is that you will go through a structured programme that will ensure you gain the necessary experience.

Recent Posts

See All

1 Comment


thanks for the information with regards to EIT. my question is about completing or filling in your annexure E before obtaining approval from DMRE. on the start and end dates of the moduels of annexure E what dates do we feel in or we will back date?

bottom of page